If you are interested in having me speak at your event or for your organization, here are the three factors that make it more likely that I will say yes:
✅ You are Mission or Community Driven: I am interested in events that have a strong mission rooted in making the world a better place or making space for people to connect with others.
✅ You serve a diverse audience: For over a decade I have been speaking at events within the UX, design and tech communities. These days I am especially interested in reaching audiences outside the communities that I am already a part of.
The following are my non-negotiables for speaking at your event or for your organization:
- I do not often accept invitations less than 3 months in advance
- I do not speak for free at for-profit organizations or events
- I do not speak at events that do not have a code of conduct in place
- I do not speak at organizations and events that lack a clear commitment to diversity and inclusion of both speakers and attendees
- I do not speak at organizations and events that provide less than stellar attention to the accessibility needs of their staff, speakers and attendees
- I do not speak at multi-speaker conferences or on multi-speaker panels where I am the only non-male speaker
- I do not speak at multi-speaker conferences or on multi-speaker panels where there are only white speakers
As a speaker, I expect…
- You will provide ample lead time on any request for my time
- You will pay for my time in a timely manner
- You will properly prepare me to meet your audience and their expectations
- You will share any communication or marketing plans you have related to me or my work
- You will make sure that I understand the technical and physical setup of the event ahead of time and unless there is ample reasons why and procedures in place, I will present from my own laptop using a keynote presentation
As an organizer, you can expect…
- I will always be on time and responsive to requests
- I will care a lot about being helpful to your audience
- I will present content that is accessible, clear, kind and brave
- I will get your group excited about nerdy stuff. Don’t fret, I’m even good at doing that remotely.
If we align on the above, I am open to talking more about working together. To start the conversation, tell me a bit about your event, organization and budget.